Learn by Doing – Ag Skills Training Program
Provided by UH CTAHR Cooperative Extension & Sustʻāina ble Molokai
Participants will learn agriculture skills needed to implement a subsistence/home or market garden. Skills learned can aid participants in transitioning from a garden to a farm when the time is right. Attend 1 class per week for 14 weeks (Tuesdays 8:30-11:30am) and receive supplies to set-up your home-based garden/farm upon successful completion of course. Classes will be led by UH CTAHR’s Jennifer Hawkins and assisted by Sustʻāina ble Molokai’s Jamie Ronzello at the UHMC / UH CTAHR Applied Research and Demonstration Farm.
Garden to Farm Application:
- Time & Location
- UH Maui College/UH CTAHR Applied Research & Demonstration Farm (652 Huaʻai Road, just past Kumu Farms)
- January through May 2020 (approximately 14 weeks)
- Tuesdays, 8:30am – 11:30am
- Participants are expected to come back to their garden plot another day of the week for crop maintenance.
- Participants are encouraged to bring their ʻohana!
- Ag Skills Taught
- Garden set-up and organizing
- Seed selection
- Plant disease and insect management
- Irrigation installation and management
- Caring for crops
- Row covers/mulching
- Harvesting, post-harvest handling, and food safety
- And more!
- What you can expect to gain
- Hands-on experience in growing, maintaining, and harvesting various crops.
- Garden/farm supplies that you will learn how to properly utilize, which you will then get to take home to set-up your own garden/farm upon successful completion of course.
- Apply Below!
Learn more on November 19th 5PM at the Kualapuʻu Rec Center!